DREPAVIE and its partners have so far carried out actions in the form of IEC (information-education-communication) campaigns on sickle cell disease, in collaboration with local doctors and families. Information is the best prevention for sickle cell disease. Informing sickle cell patients, families, the public and political actors is essential. Informed information about the disease and its transmission allows early management of children with sickle cell disease, which reduces the risk of complications that can occur when the first symptoms appear. To reduce mortality and improve the quality of life of patients, an effective strategy must be based both on the education of parents and the patient, as well as on the awareness and information of the general public, in particular teachers and health actors.
We all have a role to play in awareness campaigns:
- Sickle cell disease associations
- Health actors
- Policy makers
We adapt awareness campaigns according to the context. The techniques used are varied, between interpersonal communication, cultural and intercultural communication, mass media, organizational communication, training, advocacy (decision-makers awarness), and social mobilization (to obtain multifaceted support from civil society).
The aims of the awareness campaigns are as follows:
- Inform the patient and his family about sickle cell disease (generalities, transmission, symptoms, etc.)
- Raise awareness of the importance of preventive treatment of complications (precautions to be taken), in collaboration with medical specialists
- Raise awareness of the importance of regular monitoring
- Provide information on screening, which is essential for early treatment of the disease. Indeed, early diagnosis allows optimal management, it considerably improves the quality of life of patients and avoids some complications.